It’s no secret that many people are under a tremendous amount of stress because of the coronavirus outbreak and its disruption to daily life. At this point, wellbeing may feel unattainable, however, with the right mindset and some effort it is possible!
Gretchen Day, VP of Health Innovation & Advanced Strategies at AIA, Alera Group, interviews John Troutman (Mazzitti & Sullivan EAP Services) on tips to boost your wellbeing during this unprecedented period of social distancing.
We hope you’ll listen to the full podcast here.
Here are our 5 main takeaways:
- Establish a routine. Take this opportunity to re-evaluate your current routine and see this time as an opportunity to make some changes. Having a schedule helps create a feeling of normalcy, despite living in these uncertain times.
- Mindset. Making the transition to working from home is an adjustment. Instead of focusing on the problems, look for solutions and spend time getting those into place. Try to see each day as an opportunity instead of a roadblock.
- “Over” communicate. We are more connected today than ever thanks to technology. Be sure to make the most of these platforms. Additionally, never underestimate the power of hearing another person's voice. While texting and emailing has its place, don’t be afraid to communicate through calling or virtual meetings.
- Focus on what you can control. It may seem like there is nothing we can control right now, but that’s not the case! There is so much we can still control when we allow ourselves to think outside of the box. For example, there are creative ways to work out, enjoy family time and connect with co-workers.
- Take a break. Statistics say that we are 87% more productive after a 10-minute break. Think of this break as an investment in yourself. These breaks could include listening to music, going for a walk or talking to a loved one. Find something that makes you feel relaxed and let yourself take a break during the workday.
About the Podcasters:
VP of Health Innovation & Advanced Strategies
AIA, Alera Group
Gretchen leads our DiscoverHealth® department in the Employee Benefits Division of AIA, Alera Group. She provides support to clients in their cost containment, population health management and wellbeing initiatives. Gretchen believes that employers hold the key to improving healthcare and the health of their employees and is passionate about bringing forth solutions to enhance the overall health and well-being of employees.
National Marketing and Business Development
Mazzitti & Sullivan EAP Services
John has been a presenter and public speaker for nearly 20 years with a background in training, development and marketing. You can connect with John on LinkedIn.